MSN Messenger would not shut down, and I got a messagebox warning that other software might be using it. Amongst the possible culprits, a new (to me) piece of software was listed: ThreeDegrees.
So I looked into what this (microsoft sponsored) piece of software is, and what it does.
If you're interested in emerging technologies (and I know you are) then I recommend you check out the demo of three degrees. Microsoft snapped it up with good reason.
Go to the threedegrees downloads page and click on the "check out the 3 degrees demo" graphic in the lower middle of the page.
It's a different, more 'youf-oriented' variety of 'social software', that facilitates 'online-parties'. Sounds embarrasingly uncool, i know, but stick with me.
I'm interested in the style of simultaneous group communication it facilitates.
Some capabilities are:
- Collaborate in groups of up to ten people
- Listen to the same music at the same time as each other. (anyone can add/remove songs from a shared playlist).
- Send/receive little animated images to/from the group (these are called 'winks'). Everyone receives the same images at the same time.
- Integrates with MSN Messenger to enable conversations.
- Enable group photo/file sharing.
I'm currently writing a book about how to build your first product. If you want to build your first product, please sign up to be notified when the book is available.